10 Masters Degree Programs in Canada
Ten Best Masters Degree Universities in Canada
There are as many rankings for Canadian universities as you have time to review. Our list is drawn from those recommendations, combined with a sense of the international recognition that these universities enjoy. In most cases the lists are similar, differing only in the order in which they are listed. The top ten schools with graduate engineering programs may not match up with those universities having strong computer science programs, but as in the United States, the strong national universities tend to be strong in most academic areas.
- University of Toronto is recognized for its economics department, computer science and IT program, and its engineering department as well as its medical school. It was the birthplace of stem cell research and the development of insulin. The University is also famous for its literary scholars; the Master of Arts in Comparative Literature is offered by the school's Centre for Comparative Literature. The Master of Management in Innovation is designed for people with a background in technology or science.
- Queen's University was chartered by Queen Victoria in 1842 and today is one of Canada's leading graduate level institutions. The school is known for its programs in economics, business, finance, and in computer science. The School of Business offers a Master of Business Administration, a Master of Management in Finance, a Master of Science in Management and a Master of Science in Global Management. The School of Health Sciences offers fifteen master's degree programs including the MSN, Masters in Epidemiology and a Masters in Rehabilitation Science.
- McGill University is noted for both its engineering school and its computer science programs. Though it is located in Montreal, the primary teaching language is English. It has enormous international recognition and offers a wide range of graduate programs through the sciences, technology, liberal arts and fine arts. The Master of Biomedical Engineering is a state of the art degree at the intersection of medicine and biology; the Master of Science in interdisciplinary Masters in Computational Science and Engineering includes contributions from faculty teaching mathematics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, and atmospheric engineering.
- University of British Columbia has an extremely well rounded and diverse selection of graduate programs throughout its academic departments. In biotech alone the school offers the Master of Bioinformatics, Master of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and Master of Biomedical Engineering. Unlike the United States, in the field of business the only option is a Master of Science in Business Administration, offered more as a commerce degree than a finance or investment oriented program.
- York University has over 42,000 undergraduates and over 6,000 graduate students. The student body hails from 155 different nations. Graduate programs for which the University is noted include business and finance, offered through the Schulich School of Business. Degrees offered there include the Master of Business Administration, Master of Finance, the International MBA, and the Master of Public Administration. The Master of Arts in Cinema & Media Studies is a career oriented degree; there is also a Master of Fine Arts option in Film that features screenwriting and production.
- University of Western Ontario also has a highly regarded school of business for both its MBA and Finance programs. The University has over seventy master's degree programs, fifty of which may lead to a doctoral degree. The Master of Engineering for Design and Manufacturing is the new version of the traditional Industrial Engineering degree, incorporating design into a field that is more focused on consumer products today than industrial production. There is a program for the Masters in Scientific Computing that is offered as part of a Biostatistics collaborative effort.
- University of Waterloo has an excellent engineering program and is also known for the information technology and computer science graduate studies conducted there. Waterloo offers a Masters in Architecture, one of the many departments in the School of Engineering. Among the cutting edge degrees offered through that department are the Master of Science in Nanotechnology, developed by three separate science departments and the Department of Mechanical & Mechatronics Engineering. It is the first degree of its type in Canada.
- University of Alberta has well known programs in finance, in economics, and in medicine. The school offers 110 master's degree programs which establishes it as one of the premier graduate level institutions in the Commonwealth. The Masters in Economics has several areas of focus from which to choose, and the Master of Economics & Finance offers seven graduate electives that students can use to shape their course of study. The Masters in Humanities Computing is a degree offered to students emerging from liberal arts programs who need to acquire the computing skills needed for research or for information management careers, or work in the internet content development field.
- Simon Fraser University is a mid-sized university with an excellent reputation and a decent range of graduate degree programs. The school operates three campuses as well as a distance education program. The Master of Resource Management degree is also available with a Planning specialization for students who want to get involved in planning and development policy. The School of Interactive Arts and Technology has an interesting array of study options including a Master of Arts for students working with computational art and design, and a Master of Science for students focusing on artificial intelligence, cognition, and knowledge visualization.
- McMaster University offers several MBA options through the DeGroote School of business that include the full time MBA, the part time option, an accelerated eight month program, and the Co-op MBA. Other degrees offered by the school include the Master of Science in eHealth and the Master of Communications Management.