MPA Degree Programs Online & Graduate Rankings
MPA Degree Rankings
Working for a public office means having some sense of the leadership skills, managerial know how, and understanding of public policy is recommended. When searching for a university that offers a Master of Public Administration degree, it's important to find a program that suits your needs and will supply you with these skills and sets of knowledge. According to the US News and World Report rankings, the following are some of the bets in this department.
- Syracuse University is known for providing a full 40 credit professional degree, in the form of a Master of Public Administration. This is included within the school of social sciences, which gives students a unique perspective. The interdisciplinary approach helps students analyze a broader context within which they can then place their public policy management skills and analysis, after receiving the MPA.
- University of Georgia offers a contemporary public management course that culminates in being awarded a Masters of Public Administration degree. This is monitored by an MPA advisory committee, which helps oversee the curriculum and make sure that everything is up to current standards. This is also cosponsored by the Carl Vinson Institute of Government, which helps with student internship and job placements.
- Indiana University at Bloomington has a highly regarded Master of Public Affairs degree program that provides the knowledge that is used by professionals in public offices. This includes a variety of different subjects, including economics, policy analysis, political science, and law. The program lasts for two years and consists of a core curriculum, an area of concentration, and an internship or research program.
- Harvard University offers a two year program, which is a more involved MPA, a Master in Public Administration in International Development. This is more economics centered than other programs might be, with a prerequisite that students have studied either microeconomics or macroeconomics in their undergraduate years. Applicants are generally accepted directly from their undergraduate university for placement.
- University of Southern California is well known for its MPA program that is designed to prepare professionals for a new career out there serving the public welfare. This is housed within the USC School of Policy, Planning, and Development and is one of the oldest programs that are centered on public administration. There is a full-time option that lasts for two years, or a three year part-time option.
- American University provides students with the skill set and knowledge that is necessary for working in public administration offices abroad or on a federal level. That includes a firm handle of knowledge of the law, political science, and leadership or managerial functions. Students will also need to complete a capstone project or internship at the end of their studies.
- University of Kansas prepares students for the world of public management with their MPA degree program. There is a doctoral degree also available for those who wish to pursue their studies further, which is a good way to start off a teaching career in this field. They have been ranked as number one in the past in city management, according to the US News and World Report.
- Arizona State University is well known for its MPA program that aims to adequately prepare professionals for the public service sphere. That includes learning how to tactfully and reasonably address any issues that may arise in public offices, be they of the non-profit or private variety. That includes learning more about human resources, law, and budgetary issues.
- University at Albany - SUNY possesses a Master of Public Administration program that helps prepare students for all different career levels in either the public, non-profit, or even private areas of business. Public administration can be a complicated field that requires a broad band of knowledge. This is provided by the 11 semester-length courses, with an internship and 2 professional applications modules.
- Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey helps students that are both in the middle of their career and those that are just starting out, with their Master of Public Administration program. This helps sharpen skills that already exist, and provide a solid base for those that are new to the field. The study materials include learning more about how to implement government policies for the public good. Areas of specialization include public management, health administration, and nonprofit management.