MSE (Masters in Economics) Degree Programs Online & Graduate Rankings
Choosing to study economics can lead to a wide variety of different eventual career goals. Financial savvy is required for this type of career, but this is also combined with sociology, psychology, and market analysis for a full understanding of what goes into economics. When taking a look at the highest rankings, the US News and World Report is a valuable resource. The following schools combine the theory and history of applied economics with a full international viewpoint that is vital to success in today's marketplace.
- Harvard University offers a Masters in Economics degree through their Harvard Business School that has remained at the list for decades. This is due not only to the outstanding faculty that teaches economics in a holistic manner, but also to the consistently high quality of international students that are accepted into the program each year. A fundamental appreciation for the shifting nature of economics is taught in an interdisciplinary approach.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology is another contender in the stakes for the Masters in Economics program at the moment. They accept students form a variety of backgrounds, including those that have an undergraduate degree in a field other than economics. However, some sort of accounting or applied mathematics is required, along with professional practice before being allowed into this program.
- Princeton University gives students the opportunity to choose from twelve sub-specialties when they sign up for an initial Masters in Economics course. This could include macroeconomics, microeconomics, theoretical economics, and international relations. The approach to the MSE degree is one that attempts to involve as many different sub disciplines as possible to give students a more modern and global understanding of how markets operate.
- University of Chicago gives their students the chance to choose between a thesis and a research approach to cap off their Masters in Economics program. This is achieved under the close supervision of a faculty mentor, and there are several sub specialties that can also be chosen to supplement the core curriculum. A full understanding of market analysis is the core of the study program here.
- Stanford University draws in students to the MSE program with a variety of different program features, including a lecture series and study abroad options that bring in viewpoints of global markets. The program is available on a full or part-time basis, to help ensure that students are able to fit the studies into their busy schedules.
- University of California Berkeley is one of the consistently highest ranked programs in terms of student job placement rate upon graduation. By choosing to enroll here for a Masters in Economics degree program, participants are able to choose from a variety of different electives and fields of focus. This is then supplemented with internship programs that give students the real-life economic experience that they need to compete in an ever-changing job market.
- Yale University offers a Masters in Economics course that distinguishes itself from rivals through the high quality of the instructors, and the group simulations and case studies that are a consistent part of the curriculum. The approach of Yale is that it is not enough to simply look into the history and theories of Economics as a field, but also to learn leadership and problem solving techniques that will help students be able to take control of a financial system crisis.
- Northwestern University gives students the chance to learn more about the economics field through their basic curriculum that puts emphasis on an interdisciplinary approach, combined with the electives and simulations that put more meaning behind what economics mean in today's financial world.
- University of Pennsylvania is a leader among economics programs, because they are able to offer direct access to industry leaders in their classrooms and seminar options. At the end of the program, students must then choose a thesis or capstone project to demonstrate what they have learned and how this will be applied in the real world.
- Columbia University offers a full-time residential Masters in Economics program through their Uris School of Business. This is available to candidates with a background in economics, as well as others with a general liberal arts background and professional experience in the finance industry.