MSW (Masters of Social Work) Degree Programs Online & Graduate Rankings
Social work is a field that encompasses a number of different academic programs, including psychology, mental health, and administrative practices. The universities that offer a Masters of Social Work, as ranked by the US News and World Report, are able to balance all of these different fields and give students a well-rounded education. MSW online degree programs are also available from accredited traditional & for-profit institutions.
- Washington University in St. Louis offers a full time program that has over 200 students each year. Over 20 different countries are represented in this entering class each fall, which helps make group discussion and course work interesting with a global perspective. The emphasis in this MSW program is on social change, building leadership skills, social and economic development, and gerontology. There are six different specializations from this range to choose from.
- University of Michigan at Ann Arbor has a 60 credit hour program that leads to the eventual acquisition of the Master of Social Work. Students in this program have the opportunity to choose a specific program pathway, including management of human services, interpersonal practice, and community organization. These are combined with practice methods for a well-rounded approach.
- University of Chicago offers a Master of Social Work degree program through their School of Social Service Administration. This involves taking a look at various economic, social, and political factors that may help change how we view the field of social work. The coursework involves group projects and a thesis project at the end of the term.
- Columbia University has one of the most prestigious social work programs in the world, with a School of Social Work dedicated to providing support and education to future social workers. These could include those professionals who work in community organizing, resource development or individual health services. There are 1200 hours in field instruction that are included as part of the program, leading to the final MSW degree.
- University of Washington is located in the heart of Seattle, which is a leading center of social work and practices. This MSW program is designed to give students a broader understanding of social welfare, interpersonal relationships, and the listening and problem solving techniques that are necessary to help make a difference within the community. Some of the work settings where these skills can be put into place include community groups and organizations, as well as health clinic settings.
- University of California at Berkeley offers a two year program in Social Work that leads to a MSW degree. This helps train social workers for conflict, leadership techniques, and the basic background knowledge of social factors and psychological issues that may arise in treating individuals or a family. Education is also provided to learn how social foundations and welfare organizations operate, for the leadership qualities needed to help run them in the future.
- University of Texas at Austin gives students the opportunity to choose between two main concentrations, the Clinical Social Work and Community and Administrative Leadership options. These can be completed in any length of time ranging from 1 to 3 and a half years in program length, depending on the type of program that is chosen. This prepares students for work with individuals or organizations, depending on the area of focus that the student chooses to embark on.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill prepares social workers for a more advanced practice in their chosen field, including the possibility of leadership or community development. There are also dual degree programs with the law school, department of public administration, and the divinity school to help round out the basic program.
- University of Southern California is the first research institution to offer their MSW online, which is extremely useful for candidates who don't have the time to commute to a campus for their study programs. This remains an extremely interactive learning experience that gives the peer interaction and direct contact with professors that students need in order to gain a foothold in this highly interpersonal field.
- Case Western Reserve University offers several different concentrations in the overall framework of their Masters in Social Work degree program. Students can choose to specialize in health, mental health, alcohol abuse, aging, or children. These core specialties are pushed forward in terms of scope and knowledge with the help of field work, research, and interactive classroom experiences.