Top 10 Graduate Computer Science Schools
Students who are interested in pursuing graduate degrees in computer science are those who seem to have an innate understanding of programming and technology in general. When it comes to potential professions for those with computer science degrees, the possibilities are endless since computers are everywhere in our lives. Most universities will have separate computer science departments or schools. It is not uncommon, however, to find computer science degrees being offered by other disciplines, such as a school of medicine or the school of business. Many colleges are now offering joint degrees in which computer science is encouraged as an option.
Listed below are the top ten computer science graduate programs according to the research conducted by U.S. News and World Report. There are many excellent graduate programs of this nature all over the country, but these are unarguably some of the finest. It's important to keep in mind that these programs are highly selective, and many require some previous experience or education relating to computer science.
- Carnegie Mellon University The School of Computer Science offers a wide array of master's and doctoral option for graduate students. Students have the opportunity to work with some of the top researchers and programmers in the field. This school also offers access to the most cutting edge methods and technologies.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology The Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science is the largest in the country and allows students many opportunities to apply knowledge, skills, and theories from other disciplines and sciences into their own computer science research and studies.
- Stanford University The Department of Computer Science is considered to be the main center for computer research and studies in the country. Students are given unlimited access to some of the most exciting developments in computer science today. The graduate programs are based heavily on research and prepare students for full-time academic positions.
- University of California--Berkeley The master's and PhD degrees in computer science are housed by the School of Engineering. This provides students with opportunities to get some of the firsthand experience that will make them stick out when it is time to enter the professional world.
- Cornell University This is a highly selective graduate program for students who have advanced backgrounds in computer science. While there is a master's degree offered, most students who enter graduate study work toward completion of the PhD degree.
- University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign This Department of Computer Science has a strong emphasis on programming and practical application. Graduate students will not only learn about cutting edge theories and methods, but also about the real world applications of these methods.
- University of Washington The Department of Computer Science and Engineering offers a unique professional master's degree for students who are looking to improve their careers. Students learn about new developments and they also receive a valuable professional education.
- Princeton University The Department of Computer Science offers a Master of Science degree. It also offers a PhD degree that does not require a master's degree prior to admission. Students may enter the PhD degree directly after completing the undergraduate degree.
- University of Texas--Austin The Department of Computer Science has a high selective graduate program which is research based. Students learn about current research methods and also learn about obstacles and issues that are essential to understanding the field.
- Georgia Institute of Technology The College of Computing offers five unique master's degree options, including information security and human-computer interaction.