Top 10 Graduate Finance Schools
When graduate students decide that they would like to pursue advanced degrees in finance, it's because they are interested in market behavior and the behaviors of major corporations, banks, and businesses. Students who are on the PhD track may be less interested in the practical application of their skills and may be more interested in scholarly research. These students go on to work for major financial institutions and organizations. Others continue as researchers in universities and also become educators. Graduate finance students will often take courses in disciplines such as math, economics, and statistics, which will further their understanding of the field.
Here are the top ten finance schools in this country. This list is based on the list provided by U.S. News and World Report and will give you a sample of some of the best programs available. What all of these schools have in common is a commitment to excellence, to solid academic research, and to creating professionals who make valuable contributions to the field.
- University of Pennsylvania (Wharton) The Wharton Finance Department is considered the best in the country because of its selectivity and because of its dedication to excellent scholarly research and practical application. The department offers master's and PhD programs for qualified students.
- University of Chicago (Booth) The Booth PhD in Finance in considered to be one of the best for its far reaching education and because of its cooperation with the Department of Economics. This creates a diverse and interdisciplinary education for those interested in advanced research of financial practice and theory.
- New York University (Stern) The Stern School of Business offers master's and PhD degrees in finance. Considered to be one of the most academically rigorous programs in the country, it allows students to complete the research necessary to their studies while publishing and being part of an academic network.
- Columbia University Located in the financial capitol of the world, the Finance and Economics Division at Columbia University is considered to be one of the most globally minded and innovative programs in the country.
- Stanford University The PhD in Finance offered by the Graduate School of Business trains students to become excellent researchers by educating them about the most urgent and current issues and problems facing businesses, banks, and markets today.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan) The Sloan School of Business offers a PhD in Finance that offers students access to some of the most experienced and established faculty members in the country, as well as access to the most current research methods and technologies.
- Harvard University The Financial Unit produces scholar who excel in their work because it understands the importance of a cross-disciplinary education that puts finance PhD students in contact with faculty from economics, statistics, computer science, and other disciplines.
- Northwestern University (Kellogg) The Department of Finance in the Kellogg School of Business allows students to work closely with esteemed faculty members who are at the tops of their fields. The school offers a number of flexible finance master's and PhD degree programs.
- University of California--Berkeley (Haas) The Haas School of Business offers a PhD in Finance that is considered by many academics and professionals to be the most innovative in the field. With a concentration on diversity and cross-cultural communication, students gain a unique and effective financial perspective.
- University of California--Los Angeles (Anderson) The Anderson School of Business offers one of the most highly regarded finance PhD's in the world. Students work closely with esteemed professionals and scholars.